Chicago Airports XP

Latest version: v1.0 (2019)

Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Re: Chicago Airports XP

Post by Martin_Starski »

I do not see any errors - in scenery_packs.ini there are few additional entires, which might have impact to Chicago area, but if you are able to reach 30 fps with reduced settings and we are talking about such demanding combo like Chicago airports and city, I'm leaning toward your hardware.
flightyler
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: flightyler

Post by flightyler »

I was able to fix the night lighting performance issues by simply editing the light objects to have less of a throw. Took me maybe all of 5 minutes to do and my fps went from around 10-15 at night to a locked 30. I edited LT_DD_W_10MED from "LIGHT_PARAM full_custom_halo_night 0.00 10.0 0.0000 211 233 195 0.004 200 0 0 -1 0.1" to become "LIGHT_PARAM full_custom_halo_night 0.00 10.0 0.0000 211 233 195 0.004 50 0 0 -1 0.1" (changed the 200 to 50) Also for some reason the new mesh from this thread does not fix the invisible potholes for me. But it did at one point so I'm pretty confused.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks for sharing this - I will consult it with my colleagues.
flightyler wrote: Friday 17 Sep 2021, 16:35 new mesh from this thread does not fix the invisible potholes
Can you elaborate, please?
flightyler
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: flightyler

Post by flightyler »

Martin_Starski wrote: Saturday 18 Sep 2021, 09:30 Thanks for sharing this - I will consult it with my colleagues.
flightyler wrote: Friday 17 Sep 2021, 16:35 new mesh from this thread does not fix the invisible potholes
Can you elaborate, please?
There was someone else earlier in this thread complaining about when you go over the tunnel that goes under 28R/C and 10L/C and taxi bridges and there was a link to download a new object to fix it. That used to work for me but for some reason does not anymore. Maybe because I was editing the scenery? It's no big deal I can just use the flat airport.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Stanisław

Post by DD Stanislaw »

It probably depends on what were you editing...
There is too little information to guess what might be wrong. You might try a simple reinstall.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

You talk about this fix, right? viewtopic.php?p=20486#p20486
Is it not working after the reinstall the whole package + applying the fix?
If not, please share you scenery_packs.ini and log.txt here as a zip file - it would be great if you can attach few screenshots here to be sure that we are all thinking about the same problem.
shunter1621
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Scott_Hunter

Post by shunter1621 »

Hello, I just registered to this forum to add another user experiencing significant night time fps drops at KORD. It stutters like no where else in my XP11 universe. I'm running a 1080ti gpu and i7 8500k cpu. This doesn't happen at any other airport I own. I also have your Washington DC, Seattle, and NY airports. None of them have this same experience.

I'm sure it's a lost cause to ask if there is any fix to this problem, but I at least wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with the product and can clearly see you haven't done much to address this as I just bought it but complaints of the issue go back to 2019. I guess shame on me for not following the "buyer beware" philosophy.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Stanisław

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Hi!
Thank you for your report.
As you could see from reading the topic, we've done multiple things even such as asking the X-Plane team o test the product only to have them confirmed, that the product performs as expected.
Unfortunately, we were not able to recreate the FPS drop at our end which limits our options for troubleshooting...
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

We tried the solution mentioned below:
flightyler wrote: Friday 17 Sep 2021, 16:35 LT_DD_W_10MED from "LIGHT_PARAM full_custom_halo_night 0.00 10.0 0.0000 211 233 195 0.004 200 0 0 -1 0.1" to become "LIGHT_PARAM full_custom_halo_night 0.00 10.0 0.0000 211 233 195 0.004 50 0 0 -1 0.1" (changed the 200 to 50)
Unfortunately in our environment it didn't bring any special difference, but on the other hand - in the same environment we've never been able to replicate such performance problem reported by you, so maybe it will help you indeed. Please try the attached file and let us know about the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dominomosina
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Dominik

Post by dominomosina »

Ok, I have tested this file and for me and my config (Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX3070TI and XP11 running at 4k resolution) it didn't change anything, however that got me thinking - this scenery has A LOT of light sources (like every gate has at least few lamp posts). Does it look beautiful? It sure does, but it comes with a huge cost.
Situation 1, night, Zibo 737, stand E8, 34 FPS and look at microprofiler:

Situation 2, dawn, same plane, same gate, lights are still on, 34 FPS, microprofiler still showing spikes:

Situation 3, dawn, same plane, same gate BUT the lights are off - 45 FPS, microprofiler looks as it should and you can even see the change on the graph, where I moved the time forward:

I have also tested the behaviour of EPPO and EPWA, there are no spikes like this in microprofiler and FPS drop is close to 0
EPPO at night
EPPO at dawn

EPWA at night
EPWA at dawn

So, Gentlemen's - can you try to limit the amount of lamp posts on the scenery by let's say 50% or even remove 2/3 of them for the sake of testing? It's a clear sign that the drops are caused by lighting. If for me, using 3070TI the difference between day and night is 10 FPS, then for people with slower GPUs it might mean even higher drops. I'm happy to help you testing this.
dominomosina
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Dominik

Post by dominomosina »

Sorry, attached wrong screenshots for EPPO and EPWA at dawn, the lamps are still turned on on them, here they are off:
EPPO https://i.imgur.com/zFUA36k.jpg
EPWA https://i.imgur.com/ECLf89K.jpg
(I can't edit previous post)
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

To be very honest again we did our tests: 1) without lighting, 2) lights intensity according to the user advice (above) and 3) our default lighting. In each the case fps were almost the same...
We can theoretically reduce number of light objects, but it can done as soon as the new update is under construction.
shunter1621
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Scott_Hunter

Post by shunter1621 »

Wow, then you either have the strongest government-issued GPU ever constructed, or your testing environment is not the same as what the end users have. I see FPS in the teens at night at KORD, and I have a GTX1080ti card which can easily maintain 50-60 FPS just about anywhere during the day. There just isn't any other way that I can see an explanation why you, the developers, see no difference in FPS between day and night. I just can't understand it.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

The point is that we're not the only one who don't see any difference between day and night. In case of many users this problem don't exist. Even Laminar did the tests and the result was the same - no visible difference. I'm no saying that there is no problem - it's very problematic to solve something which is not common to everyone and when you are not able to reproduce.
Bowen
0-1 posts
0-1 posts
Name: Bowen

Post by Bowen »

My VGDS is not working, the VGDS screen stays black. Also, I cannot find the Mac OS installation instruction after I purchased it from x-plane.org, so I'm not sure if I did anything wrong.