Latest version: v1.3 (2022)

xtek
13-25 posts
13-25 posts
Name: xtek

Re: Washington Landmarks MSFS

Post by xtek »

flipper1232,

For what it is worth, I am new to MSFS. I downloaded it from Steam 1/2/21. Many of the bug fixes and updates were already included and I have installed all available updates when they became available. I have had no reason to reinstall because with the exception of Drzewiecki Washington Landmarks, the sim works great and I am happy with it.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks for your reports - as you mentioned, MSFS is constantly changing and this is very challenging to all of us. We didn't skip your reports and checked, but the official statement is as the one mentioned previously:
DD Stanislaw wrote: Friday 29 Jan 2021, 15:49 Here is a reply from Asobo:

"This is an issue we’re aware of. You need to remove the USA POI from your content manager to prevent it from being displayed over [custom] content. We know this workaround isn’t optimal, but hopefully, someday we’ll have a better solution to offer."

This is not fully clear so far as obviously for most customers everything works correctly.
flipper1232
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: flipper

Post by flipper1232 »

I found the solution! :D At least for me...

Locate a folder starting with Microsoft.FlightSimulator_ (the rest might differ from system to system) within your C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\ folder
Screenshot 2021-02-02 175310.jpg
Then backup the marked SceneryIndexes folder and content.xml (just in case) and delete both.

Start the sim, it might take a few seconds longer than usual but eventually this solved the problem for me. This also fixed other, rather minor issues on sceneries like ORBX LOWI, this is also where I got the idea from, so kudos to the ORBX guys (https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/199 ... t-useable/)

Hope this helps and works for you too xtec.

#edit: Btw it didn't work just to edit the content.xml where all addons are listed, it seems this is directly connected to the scenery index files
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lancbomber72
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Mark

Post by lancbomber72 »

Thanks Flipper1232 ... that fixed my issue also!
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Stanisław

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Thank you Flipper1232. This is a very valuable hint. :D
xtek
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by xtek »

Thank you Flipper 1232 for uncovering this "fix". I am a bit concerned about deleting anything for fear that I will mess with more than just Washington DC Landmarks. Do these two files affect anything else in MSFS? Or perhaps by deleting these, I am just clearing out old elevation data or scenery cache and MSFS regenerates the data. This would explain why it takes a bit longer to load (I assume this only happened once). After doing this have you noticed any adverse effects in other areas of the sim?
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

Let's wait for Flipper1232's response, but on the other hand I think you can make a try but of course with a backup of these files - if something goes wrong, you would be able to revert it I guess.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Please proceed with caution indeed as this isn't an officially documented method.
flipper1232
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: flipper

Post by flipper1232 »

xtek wrote: Monday 08 Feb 2021, 05:49 Do these two files affect anything else in MSFS?
As far as I understood this affects not the addon content/files itself but forces the sim to scan and adjust default scenery based on the contents of your community folder. I did not notice anything else.

xtek wrote: Monday 08 Feb 2021, 05:49 Or perhaps by deleting these, I am just clearing out old elevation data or scenery cache and MSFS regenerates the data. This would explain why it takes a bit longer to load (I assume this only happened once). After doing this have you noticed any adverse effects in other areas of the sim?
Not sure if anything is is deleted or just adjusted to "new" content now being processed again by the msfs engine. Tbh it took my sim approx. 3 to 10 seconds longer to load, so you notice it but it's not that bad (if you have an SSD).
I guess this has to be directly connected to the amount of addons and scenery you have in your community folder.

Despite weird spikes coming out of the ground near Aspen, CO (KASE), I have not encountered any problems so far. This is a known issue btw shared by many other users I highly doubt this is related to this fix https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sp ... l/338732/2

edit: make sure to always backup before you change anything
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks Flipper to share your experiences with the community.
xtek
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by xtek »

Great work flipper 1232. I believe you have answered my concerns. To be clear, not understanding the significance of these two files I was worried that by messing with them in an attempt to fix the elevation issues I am having with the Washington Landmarks MSFS addon that I might be compromising the performance of a very complex simulation. I don't want to end up affecting the entire MSFS world just to correct elevation data in the limited area of the Capital Mall.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

What we have found is that Content.xml is the key here.

Code: Select all

<Content>
	<Package name="asobo-jetways" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-cameras" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-ui-vr" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-props" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-ai-traffic" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-buildings" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-liveevent" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-airport-generic" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-nav" active="true"/>
	<Package name="microsoft-usa-point-of-interest" active="true"/>
	<Package name="drzewieckidesign-washingtonlandmarks" active="true"/>
</Content>
If your list looks like this - the product won't work correctly. It is enough to put Washington higher than USA POI to make it work perfectly:

Code: Select all

<Content>
	<Package name="asobo-jetways" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-cameras" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-ui-vr" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-props" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-ai-traffic" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-buildings" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-liveevent" active="true"/>
	<Package name="asobo-modellib-airport-generic" active="true"/>
	<Package name="fs-base-nav" active="true"/>
	<Package name="drzewieckidesign-washingtonlandmarks" active="true"/>
	<Package name="microsoft-usa-point-of-interest" active="true"/>
</Content>
xtek
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by xtek »

No joy here. Moved Washington Landmarks above USA POI and no change. Ugg!!!
xtek
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by xtek »

New update!!! I finally "bit the bullet" and tried some of flipper 1232's advise. I deleted Content.xml (after saving a copy) and that was it. When I opened up MSFS, Washington Landmarks was perfectly fine. All the bogus elevation data was gone. A big shout out to flipper 1232 for his advise and to 'DD Stanislaw for hanging in there with me as we worked through this. BTW, when I checked back into Content.xml it had reloaded as I thought it would but this time Washington Landmarks was moved up from near the bottom to right UNDER USA POI. Interesting! I would have thought it would be above USA POI as DD had found but not in my case. Regardless, it now works. Thanks again.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Xtek, thank you for the information. This is very interesting. We will be monitoring this issue.