Chicago Landmarks MSFS

Latest version: v1.3 (2023)

mbell
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Re: Chicago Landmarks MSFS

Post by mbell »

I just finished a clean install. Flight Simulator crashes when you load Premier Deluxe KORD. I installed FSDT KORD and it also crashes when it starts to load.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks - for sure we will not leave it as it is.
ravencloth
0-1 posts
0-1 posts
Name: Matt

Post by ravencloth »

As a Chicago resident myself, I am thoroughly impressed with this scenery. It’s not only highly accurate, but breathtakingly beautiful. Thoroughly impressed and this has vastly improved my Chicago-area flight experience, which is where I spend the majority of my time.

However, I am having some performance issues when flying close to the scenery. I get 40-50-60fps elsewhere in Chicago dependent on the aircraft, but if I get right on top of the downtown scenery, my frames drop to 15-17. Even doing takeoffs from ORD do not present a significant frame drop when flying a few thousand feet over the skyline, but if I do a close pass to take a detailed look, I get significant performance loss. Developer mode FPS indicates GPU limited performance. I am playing on 4k / Ultra (RTX 3080 & i9 10900k), so I realize I may be pushing it to the limit with 4k textures and high settings for this scenery.

Is this scenery just pushing my system to its limits on Ultra? Are there any GPU-specific settings I can tweak to enjoy this scenery better close-up? I downloaded from ORBX FTX Central last night, so I am assuming I should have the latest (parched) version.
kingnothing75
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: Adnan

Post by kingnothing75 »

I am having this same problem too. Just downloaded the Chicago Landmarks.
Loading KMDW and choosing a departure immediately causes a CTD.

Tests:

When i remove the scenery file and leave the other folders in, this does not happen.
but i guess the Chicago landmarks vidually does not load ( as expected), but the sim does not crash.

When i put in the full package, but just remove the TEXTURE package. it crashes in the exact same way.
(choosing KMDW runway crashes it)

When i remove the Scenery//world/"SCENERY" folder only , the sim does not crash.
When i put this Scenery/world/scenery folder back, and just remove the Chicagovect.bgl file, the sim crashes to desktop.

when i remove the scenery/world/scenery/chicagoplc.bgl file, the sim does not CTD.

I hope this helps to single out the cause.

PS : Also , i hope this does not conflict with freeware airports for the chicago area, because i am working on a huge project editing KMDW Midway airport in Chicago and would like that to be compatible with DD Landmarks chicago . But i did not have any Chicago based freeware or other add-ons in my community folder.

I did have one addon for 1c5 ( Bolingbrook airport), which is a small airport suburb in the Chicago area (western suburbs), which i made myself, but when i removed this from the community folder, the CTD from DD Landmarks chicago still occurred.

Hope all this helps .

Thanks!
kingnothing75
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by kingnothing75 »

Sorry , i did not read till the end of this thread, and now see you already posted a fix / replacement file ( which confirms my testing above that the file had some problem.

i copied the new file into the folder and it is working great now. I still hope though that this add-on will be compatible with other Chicago area add-ons in future! thanks!
AltitudeAchiever
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: AltAchiever

Post by AltitudeAchiever »

Hey, I'm back again. After installing v1.1 the scenery has stopped working for me completely. I can now load into Chicago but none of the buildings are showing up! Downtown has no buildings and all of the custom scenery is missing! Reverting to v1.0 currently.
AltitudeAchiever
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

I have successfully reverted to version 1.0 and installed the fix. All the scenery is loading in correctly for me now, again looks great!
jack233
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: Jack

Post by jack233 »

CTD on version 1.1 with the new file added . Worked fine with version 1.0 and new file . How can I revert to version 1.0?
AltitudeAchiever
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

jack233 I was having the same problem. I was able to revert because I had the v1.0 installer saved in my downloads.
jack233
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by jack233 »

@ Altitude thanks yes I don’t have that file anymore so just going to have to wait and see what they can do here . It was working flawlessly no problem with 1.0 and the new file . So I downloaded the version 1.1 and back to CTD at Kord and midway. Maybe they should go back to version 1.0 with the new file .
kingnothing75
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by kingnothing75 »

After installing the updated file for the Chicago Landmarks, it worked fine for a few hours, but just crashed again. (CTD)

I had to uninstall it and really hope there is going to be a fix. (My original purchase was through Orbx Central)
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

ravencloth wrote: Saturday 19 Dec 2020, 18:10 Is this scenery just pushing my system to its limits on Ultra? Are there any GPU-specific settings I can tweak to enjoy this scenery better close-up?
Each config and specs are different, so it's really hard to suggest something very special, which makes a huge difference. Your specs looks great but MSFS likes to use all opportunities it will give you, especially in Ultra.
AltitudeAchiever wrote: Sunday 20 Dec 2020, 02:44 installed the fix. All the scenery is loading in correctly for me now, again looks great!
So, no CTD since then?
jack233 wrote: Sunday 20 Dec 2020, 04:56 Maybe they should go back to version 1.0 with the new file .
As you may see - we are facing a big problem. Some claims that v1.0 worked perfect. Others have no problem with fix and others have a problem with all versions. It's really challenging to find the cause of problem based on such different reports. But we won't give up and will find a cause of problem.
Forest Dalton
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Cazzie

Post by Forest Dalton »

I purchase this scenery two days ago from SimMarket and it installed fine, but every time I opened MSFS 2020, it would CTD. I could not delete the package from the Community folder, because it said it was being used by another program, of course it was, it was being used by MSFS 2020, but MSFS 2020 had CTD and I could not use it. I had to do a cold boot and then go in the Community folder and Delete your scenery package. After doing so, MSFS 2020 opened as normal and performed flawlessly. I also have your Washington, DC Landmarks and have no problems there, excellent FPS even. I hope a fix for this comes soon for those of us who are having CTD problems when the scenery is installed.

Thank you for looking into this, I love your scenery work.

Cazzie
AltitudeAchiever
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

So, no CTD since then?
Sorry, I think I need to clarify a bit more. v1.0 WITH the fix installed is the most stable version for me. In v1.0 WITHOUT the fix, I cannot choose my startup position at all without experiencing a CTD, it doesn't matter whether I use the dropdown menu or the map. In v1.1, not only do I get a CTD when choosing a start position on gates/ramps, but if I do manage to startup without a CTD, the scenery doesn't load in at all. Chicago's downtown is completely missing for me in v1.1! In v1.0 WITH the fix activated, I am able to select a start location from the drop down menu ONLY. If I try and set a start position using the map I get a CTD. However if I use the dropdown menu, I can start wherever I please and the scenery actually loads in correctly. Therefore, v1.0 WITH the fix installed is the most stable version for me compared to v1.0 WITHOUT the fix or v1.1. I hope this helped clear up things a little bit, yes I still experience the CTD but v1.0 WITH the fix is the most flexible for me, thanks. I can tell you guys are working very hard to fix this issue, keep it up!
jack233
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by jack233 »

I have to agree to the poster above the best fix was v 1.0 with the new file added. Most stable on my end as well . And I know it can be very difficult to find the issues . Very happy for the all of the beautiful landmarks you make and I own every one of them. Hopefully you can come up with the solution! With much respect ...