Chicago Airports XP

Latest version: v1.0 (2019)

MediumRareBaku
26-49 posts
26-49 posts
Name: MediumRareBaku

Re: Chicago Airports XP

Post by MediumRareBaku »

I came here to post about the FPS issues at night at KORD, and I agree with the other posters. I love your rendition of KORD, especially KMDW, but as it currently stands KORD is completely unusable for met at night with the lighting issue. My FPS drops to 20-25 FPS MAX in the default Cessna 172, which easily gets 40-60 FPS in the same spot with the same weather + traffic settings during the daytime, and needless to say if I load in something like the FF A320 it's unusable.

I am going to attempt to remove KORD from the package using WED and re-install Nimbus KORD until this is fixed. I really hope you guys can push a fix for this out soon since it seems like this problem has been talked about here from a while, judging from the prior posts. I'm just glad I got this package during your recent free giveaway rather than having paid for it.

I'm attaching screenshots to show the difference. One around noon, one around midnight. It drops by 20-25 FPS without changing anything else. I didn't even move the camera.

https://i.imgur.com/fEZ1X5N.png
https://i.imgur.com/D307nrV.png
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks for the report - sorry, but at the moment I can only repeat what I communicated last time:
Martin_Starski wrote: Sunday 03 May 2020, 09:26 Guys, we are in contact with X-Plane developer to make some additional analysis of our scenery, of course having the performance issue in mind. Let's see if there is any space for improvement.
Tim/Rodeo314
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by Tim/Rodeo314 »

Hi. I got Chicago Airports XP from SimMarket, for free. Thanks a lot for that awesome sale :D

I an a macOS user and using the ZIP version, obviously. There is a folder named "Orthophotos_replace" with the following readme:

Code: Select all

Files from the "Orthophoto" folder go to Custom Scenery\DD Chicago Airports XP\Orthophoto .
But I cannot seem to find any other info about it. What is the difference between the two versions???
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Stanisław

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Hi.
I believe one version is with orthophoto while the other one is without it. Some users prefer to install custom terrain textures.
Tim/Rodeo314
13-25 posts
13-25 posts

Post by Tim/Rodeo314 »

Thanks. Well I copied the set that looked best to me to the indicated folder, whatever the difference is, seems to work OK.
MediumRareBaku
26-49 posts
26-49 posts

Post by MediumRareBaku »

Any updates on the night performance issue?
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

The product (Chicago Airports+City) has been tested by the Laminar Research team only to conclude optimal performance under various conditions. I believe nothing more can be done here rather than going down with the settings on your machine.
DenBastaWilliam
0-1 posts
0-1 posts
Name: DenBastaWilliam

Post by DenBastaWilliam »

Hello there. I'm also having an issue with a layer of floating puddles above all the runways and taxiways like someone said earlier. It's kind of ugly as shadows render on both layers. I also have a small problem with some kind of blue mesh appearing over a pond when viewing from certain angles.

Here are some images: https://imgur.com/a/CHoav1n
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

DenBastaWilliam wrote: Tuesday 19 May 2020, 18:07 a layer of floating puddles
Problems with puddels can be caused by our custom terrain of Chicago - if we restore default mesh, everything is ok. We need to check if it's possible to make any modifications at the moment or maybe remove our mesh from the scenery.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

MediumRareBaku wrote: Monday 18 May 2020, 18:50 Any updates on the night performance issue?
As Stanislaw said - the scenery package has been tested by a member of Laminar Research team and we get the following feedback:
Sorry for the late reply! I checked out your scenery, but I can't see anything that would be particularly slow with it. It performs similar as other complex scenery that I have installed, at least around KORD where I tested. Please note that I have tested this on an internal build of 11.50b9 with the Vulkan backend (although I'd expect it to perform equally well on all 11.50 versions). It's very possible that your scenery performs worse on 11.41 and earlier due to the fact that we did some massive performance improvements for scenery rendering in 11.50. I don't see anything on the GPU side that would cause slowdowns either.

If there's a particular scenario and settings that is slow, please let me know (and also what X-Plane version that was tested on and whether it was running under OpenGL, Vulkan or Metal)
Beaverbeliever
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Beaverbeliever

Post by Beaverbeliever »

As others have said, the issue is only present at night, so Laminar should really look at it at night. It is almost certainly to do with the lighting, and most likely the radius of the light is causing the issues.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

It was checked with the focus on night conditions.
Midds
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Midds

Post by Midds »

It looks like from that email sent that they may not have checked it with zoom on the terminals possibly?
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

"can't see anything that would be particularly slow with it. It performs similar as other complex scenery (...), at least around KORD"
MediumRareBaku
26-49 posts
26-49 posts

Post by MediumRareBaku »

Well, listen guys, it's good of you to have asked Laminar to check it out, and maybe it won't be an issue on 11.50 after all, but it kind of seems like you're dismissing this as an issue since you had Laminar look at it and their response was basically a shrug. For myself, I tested it on 11.41, not 11.50, and if you didn't specify to start at the gate and to focus on looking at/zooming in on the terminal/hotel at night then they may not have even been looking at the right stuff to notice what was going on.

If you pan around the airport other than looking in that specific direction, it does perform pretty much like most other comparable airports, but when parked at the gate, when you look in that direction, there is definitely something going on, and you've got multiple users here reporting the same thing.

I don't know if I think it's the light spill distance that others have suggested, because I imagine the ramp lights are the same or very similar at KMDW which doesn't have these issues, but there's 100% something going on regarding night lighting at KORD at night.