Washington Landmarks MSFS

Latest version: v1.3 (2022)

manihell
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: mani

Re: Washington Landmarks MSFS

Post by manihell »

Thanks! Didn't realize it was a whole separate download again via marketplace. Keep up the great work!
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

We will! :) Have a nice flying time!
geoffda
2-4 posts
2-4 posts
Name: Geoff

Post by geoffda »

What is the latest version of Washington Landmarks? Unfortunately, I bought this from the MSFS Marketplace before I knew better so I'm not sure if I have the latest update. I have v1.3 and I'm getting the overlapped buildings. I there a v1.4?
geoffda
2-4 posts
2-4 posts

Post by geoffda »

Oh, I see now that 1.3 is the latest version. So I have both WU 2 and 10 installed, but I'm still getting the building overlap. I deleted my existing Washington Landmarks install and reinstalled. I tried both deleting my content.xml and moving the entry for Washington Landmarks to the second to last entry (before Navigraph). In all cases, I'm still getting the overlapped buildings exactly like the pictures shown earlier in the thread. I do appear to have the latest Washington Monument with the new entrance, so it appears I'm still encountering the original problem with the newest release. Maybe the only difference is that I purchased through the Marketplace. Would it be possible to get a link to test a non-Marketplace version? I'm half tempted to just take the loss on my few Marketplace purchases to and re-purchase from reputable vendors, but I seeing as I (theoretically) have the latest version, I don't want to do that in this case without knowing for certain that doing so will fix the problem.
geoffda
2-4 posts
2-4 posts

Post by geoffda »

Ah, never mind. It appears to be some sort of add-on conflict. I'm not sure which one yet, but when I cleaned things out a bit, the problem resolved itself. I'll repost once I figure out which add-on is causing the issue.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks in advance for testing and please let us know as soon as you investigate it.
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: Worthog64

Post by WortHog64 »

I seem to be getting building overlap (see screenshot). I noticed it at the White House - a wall blocking parts of the building where I don't think there should be a wall (see screenshot). I was going to move the scenery up the chain in the content.xml file, but I can't find it in there. I also purchased Reagan National airport, and can't find that in the content.xml file either (I'm used to moving scenery up the chain in that file in order to resolve conflicts). Both were purchased via the MSFS Marketplace/Steam during the Drzewiecki Design sale (couldn't resist). This anomaly prevents me from entering the oval office and seeing the president.

I also saw another anomaly at the Washington Monument when I first ran the sim after scenery install (didn't get a screenshot of that one). The monument was covered in what appeared to be building windows. Weird.

Anyway, any suggections or fixes would be appreciated. Maybe the president just didn't want to see me. :roll:

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

Found one more anomaly at the capital building. A fountain that seems to be overlapped with another fountain. See screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

Hi, do you have WU 2 and 10 installed?

Have you tried to rebuild content.xml and SceneryIndexes?
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

Martin,

I have all the World Updates installed, plus sim update 10 (the latest). I noticed that neither Reagan National or Washington Landmarks installed into the community folder, like everything else does. They also didn't show up in the content.xml file. Is there a reason for this?

I haven't tried rebuilding content.xml or scenery indexes - not sure how to do that.

As stated, these were purchased/installed from the MSFS Marketplace yesterday (MSFS edition is from Steam). I'll Google search scenery indexes and content.xml rebuilding and see what I come up with.

Thanks.
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

I found out how to delete the content.xml file and reindex scenery. I made a copy of content.xml (save to a different location) and then deleted it. Deleted everything out of the SceneryIndexes folder, and then restarted MSFS. Scenery loaded fine for Reagan National and Washington Monuments, but the scenery anomaly previousely noted still exists.

I did note one thing after closing MSFS. The content.xml file never recreated itself. The Scenery Indexes folder repopulated everything just fine. Can MSFS run without content.xml? It sure did for me, but I haven't tried to load every single plane/scenery combination yet. I've heard that Navigraph needs content.xml to run, so I put the copied file back to the root directory of MSFS (for me that is C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator). This is very strange.
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

I found out that with sim update 10 Microsoft no longer uses the content.xml file. Instead, scenery draw order can be changed within the scenery editor from SU10. I've never messed with that and have no idea how, so I guess at this point we live with the Washington Landmarks anomalies.
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

SOLVED.

After watching a YouTube video about content.xml, one of the video commenters noted that sim update 10 no longer uses the content.xml file as we knew it. It is now done while in the sim with Developer mode enabled. Under the Windows menu of developer mode you'll find a menu selection called Scenery package order (WIP). Open that and you'll find the load order for scenery. Turns out microsoft-usa-point-of-interest was conflicting with drzewieckidesign-washingtonlandmarks, and it had a higher loading priority (i.e. it was below Washington Landmarks in the list, causing the scenery conflict).

I placed microsoft-usa-point-of-interest HIGHER than Washington Landmarks, and Ta Da - problem solved. The White House is now as it should be, and probably everything else in the Washington Landmarks package.
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts

Post by Martin_Starski »

I'm happy to hear that - thanks a lot for sharing this knowledge with our community!
WortHog64
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by WortHog64 »

By the way, nice touch with the interior of the Washington Monument.