CuzDawg3
0-1 posts
0-1 posts
Name: Andrew

Re: EETN Tallinn MSFS

Post by CuzDawg3 »

Thank you thank you thank you!
Dziękuję! Dziękuję! Dziękuję!

My grandparents were from Estonia, and before Covid hit, my wife and I were planning to go visit, but that was put on hold for the time being. In the meantime, this has been such a wonderful treat to "walk" through the terminal and see what it would have been like. The detail is absolutely phenomenal! I love the moving people, ambient conversations, terminal announcements and moving luggage! It was special to also see Saku in the pubs in the terminal! (Although I prefer Viru!)

Cheers to you all and I look forward to flying here many times over in MSFS and hopefully soon in real life!
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Stanisław

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Thank you! We are very happy that you enjoy our work! :)
FrequentFlyer
50-99 posts
50-99 posts
Name: FrequentFlyer

Post by FrequentFlyer »

First of all, confrontations with the release!
The airport is full of details, even close up, and I am really happy that you kept all the jetways free of statics (as you see it for yourself the topic is indeed devoid of any people complaining about them :D )
This is a great improvement over XPlane and P3D version. Static aircraft also looks amazing and brings a lot of atmosphere into the airport. The actual chatter from EETN also adds a lot of immersion as well - even if a I am not the fan of the "kindergarten" style security announcement. :shock:

Now speaking of bugs.. One thing that I noticed very quickly is a crazy amount of the misspelt signs, and it's not even "A vs Ä" but some completely gibberish words that only makes sense because the others were spelt right. I do understand that making a lot of signs in a language that is not your own is complicated, and sometimes even the obvious things do get unnoticed. I did, however, refer to some of the mistakes when the project was still a WIP.. but only one of these mistakes got corrected. That being said I am still happy to assist you in correcting the signage (if you need so) - and pointing out every single mistake.

While the ground textures look well done overall the airport, in both winter and summer weather I noticed that the red markings right near the terminal look painfully bright, like the default ASOBO markings. I am not sure why is this left like that in the final version, but it is something that is very easy to correct in any image editing software. The tiles inside the terminal are also the wrong color, almost black, instead of the much lighter color. Again, something that I could correct were easily myself - and actually did.

The area adjacent to the VIP Terminal does lack some details. There should be 4 flag poles (currently there are only 3 flags flying. Estonia, the EU and Ukraine) and a small hill, that acts like a noise barrier.
The area near the ATC tower, could get some more attention. The 2 autogen houses there look like an eyesore.. I know there's a farm there, but maybe you could mask them a little bit so they won't stick out?
The night lighting looks well done, one thing that was more of a miss however, is the check-in area. In real life many wall signs there have a green bleed through light (active even during the day).

AI parking is generally as good as it gets, with the exceptions of ATR's that in real life are mostly parked near the main terminal , while there are always spawning next to the Magnetic MRO hangar.

The red&white smoke stack next to the Fahle House looks more unique in real life due to it being more shorter but also slightly wider than the other Tallinn's stacks. There, I suppose you just used the same model all over, but even if so, I think it should be also easy to correct the scale and XYZ coordinates without even making a custom model. The custom smoke from Iru PP looks nice, but the smoke coming from the cooling tower is slightly misplaced. Speaking of smoke stacks I am glad you added a stack at the location of the new PP, however, in real life there should be two stacks instead of one. I think the same smoke effect would also benefit there - as I see them smoking pretty much every time.
You could even add the another one in the opposite corner of the city, 59.349325911442875, 24.608451578644754 You can see it when approaching the runway 8.

I am happy that you listened to my request, and added the Muuga harbor (even if you did not add the custom grain elevator model). That being said it does feels a bit rushed (most of the cranes are still flat images and the fuel tanks are not there at all). But what bothers me the most (same about some of the city landmarks) is the terraforming, just a single rectangle, that leaves a really harsh transaction with the default mesh.
Speaking of ships, I'd remove the added cruise ships all together. Personally I am not really a fan of the huge boxy ASOBO ships - but again, it is my personal taste. :wink:

Would be also nice if you could improve the roof color of the Oleviste Church. In real life it has an iconic look thanks to its different shades of copper. Niguliste also could get some love, because currently the roof looks like it is hanging in the air due to the thin beams it is resting on.
If you are interested to perhaps also add some other landmarks in the future, Toompea Castle and Linnahall (with a heliport) would be my first obvious choices. Even more, because they were in all of the previous version of your package. Speaking of completely new landmarks I would go with the Lauluväljak (Song Festival Grounds, a must have landmark imo), Toomkirik, Pirita Klooster, Kadriorg or even Nõmme Lumepark (Good for VFR). There's also a new skyscraper being built in the city center.. so, who knows. :wink:

I know, I said previously that some parts of the airport look way too dated, but after taking another look in the released product I must say that it looks more-less up to date. one thing however that do look different is the wall at the arrivals hall. Today it got a more simplified aesthetics. You can see it here, from about 45:06 to 45:43 https://youtu.be/H62q7yluRxU?t=2706. Obviously, the ads, some interior details do change all the time, so it is impossible to keep up with everything. But if you are still interested in some more newer images - I'd be happy to take some pics (I am planning to update them anyway), if you are aiming for a more up to date look to make it look more tailored.

Ugh.. That was a long text to write (and of course to read through). I know, the home bias is strong with me... :D So, this is only and only your choice how much and to what degree are you willing to change/bring things there. At least the fixing of the most obvious bugs can be prioritized quicker than the other things.
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Hi.
FrequentFlyer wrote: Friday 07 Apr 2023, 11:07 That being said I am still happy to assist you in correcting the signage (if you need so) - and pointing out every single mistake.
That would be great and probably the fastest way of fixing them. :wink: We tried our best but perhaps we missed some of them. :oops:
FrequentFlyer wrote: Friday 07 Apr 2023, 11:07 most of the cranes are still flat images and the fuel tanks are not there at all
Could you please provide a screenshot of the exact area? We placed crane models and fuel tank models at the cargo port facility.
FrequentFlyer wrote: Friday 07 Apr 2023, 11:07 improve the roof color of the Oleviste Church
This request is definitely home-biased :roll: :lol:
FrequentFlyer wrote: Friday 07 Apr 2023, 11:07 it looks more-less up to date
Well, we do not live at the airport :D so recent changes cannot really be implemented right away. Our last photo shoot was done in December 2021 so this is the version of the terminal interiors that has been done. :wink:

We have noted your other requests/bug reports. Thank you for describing everything in detail!
FrequentFlyer
50-99 posts
50-99 posts

Post by FrequentFlyer »

So, it's me again, and here are all the spelling mistakes that I could find, together with a few texturing errors. If some of the images appear way too small just open them in a new tab.

https://imgur.com/a/EX7x8i5 Part 1
https://imgur.com/a/QOT9WNF Part 2

There's Muuga Harbor - the way it looks for me. I brought the scenery from the ORBX with every option selected and LOD set to 200.

https://imgur.com/a/koSPhKT

And as an Easter Egg (It is Easter, anyway - so why not :D ) my attempt to bring the terminal look closer to 2023 (it appears the interiors were modelled after the way they looked in the late 2010's, with some shop even saying it will open in 2018). Some real life changes are better than the others however. Nordica is pretty much a phantom airline nowadays. Just a CRJ900 in Nordica livery that flies for the contractors and only occasionally visits Tallinn. CRJ700 is gone and ATR flies for SAS. So, Nordica service desk is gone too, and now just looks boring white.. the same with the wall where the LOT ad was once hanging on the wall.

I tried to implement even more changes, but because of the way texturing currently is you can't represent some things correctly, and sometimes changing texture in one place leads to a dozens of errors in the other places.

https://imgur.com/a/4yb7beU
FrequentFlyer
50-99 posts
50-99 posts

Post by FrequentFlyer »

P.S. Some more spelling mistake I didn't notice at first. :oops:

https://imgur.com/a/4Tu0J6y
Martin_Starski
200+ posts
200+ posts
Name: Marcin

Post by Martin_Starski »

Thanks a lot for sharing all materials - we do our best to be up-to-date however it's very hard to take into account all the changes, especially in the terminal which is an added value and where changes happen here and now. But with such support like yours, we will try to jump on an even higher level :wink:
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

A new version v1.1 of this product has been sent to stores. Changes in the new version:

- RAIL lights added to rwy 26
- More chimneys with smoke added
- More port cranes added
- Mesh fixes at the harbor
- Typos fixed inside the terminal
- Floor textures tuned in the terminal
- Roofs of churches tuned
- Ground fixes and tuning
- Airline codes added to terminal stands
FrequentFlyer
50-99 posts
50-99 posts

Post by FrequentFlyer »

Wow! That was really quick. Can't wait for the update coming into the ORBX Central
Dziękuję bardzo! 8)
AceAirstream
5-12 posts
5-12 posts
Name: Ace_Airstream

Post by AceAirstream »

I have just purchased Tallinn for FS2020 and excellent it is too. I visited the city a few years ago and loved it. I remember a bar in the old town called Kompressor which did great crepes and some picked fish in cream sauce with pommes noisettes! Also a rather fine maritime museum, though unfortunately this isn't among the custom objects in the scenery. As I'm trying to collect sceneries for all the airports I have visited/travelled through in real life, this is a useful addition to the collection.

My problem is GSX, and though it's not just this airport, I'd like to get to the bottom of it. When I spawn in at a gate, and try and connect the jetway, either through GSX or the button in the Fenix EFB, I get a message that 'This gate has a default jetway' and nothing moves. I try repositioning to other gates, and the same message shows. Even slewing and tweaking the stop position makes no difference. In one other airport, I saw a tip to add the airport to the GSX exclude list for gates, and I've tried this for EETN, but then the 'default jetway' message does not show and still nothing moves. I'd decided to purchase the Cartayna files addon for this and all your airports, but no difference. I'd guess it does work given the right configuration and set up, so I'd be grateful if someone could point me towards the checklist of settings to ensure that the jetways work. (I have searched but haven't found any specific useful advice online)

The Cartayna files help document for EETN states:
 Remember to disable the default scenario in case you have third-party scenarios installed to avoid conflict.
 In some scenarios there are fixed (BGL) jetways that are obviously unable to move. Those are scenery limitations, not errors of the Cartayna file. On such cases where jetways are not operative (such as BGL) AND there is a near door to disembark by foot, the disembarkation option by defect chosen by Cartayna Files is set to be by foot (no jetway).

However, the document doesn't detail any fixed jetways for EETN.

All help appreciated. I'm looking forward to using the scenery to it's fullest potential!
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

Hi. We can kindly suggest you talking directly to Cartayna. We do not make anything GSX-related ourselves. :oops:
AceAirstream
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by AceAirstream »

Thanks, I'll remove the Cartanya profile and try again. However, I noticed that on the GSX discord there was a report of issues with GSX and the EETN scenery misbehaving. https://discord.com/channels/1011680327 ... 6708171956. The thread seemed to suggest there was a scenery bug. Also in this live stream which showcased the scenery (where I saw it for the first time), the jetway did not deploy: https://www.youtube.com/live/5I6WjLHjBR ... &t=10800
Has the scenery been tested with GSX for compatibility?
DD Stanislaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by DD Stanislaw »

GSX team always states that those are scenery bugs :D :twisted:

The compatibility of all our products with GSX is handled by Cartayna. We do not touch GSX ourselves. :) Please contact Cartayna for solving any GSX-related issues. :)
AceAirstream
5-12 posts
5-12 posts

Post by AceAirstream »

I will contact them, however:

Further testing has shown that the jetways do not work even if GSX is not loaded. I've tried both a menu bar utility and the default ATC menus, tuning to ground, but the jetways are not shown as an option. So I don't think actually GSX is the issue here after all.
I have made progress though.|
On the main FS menu, I'm offered two positions for each gate around the terminal, eg Gate M4 and Gate 62 which appear to be next to each other. |If I choose gate M4, the jetway doesn't work or show on the ATC menu, but if I choose Gate 62, it does show on ATC menu and operate via the default ground services menu. The position of the aircraft is nowhere near the stop lines though (using M4 it is properly lined up with the ground markings. This makes things difficult if arriving at a gate at the end of a flight as there is no indication where to stop to get the jetway to work.
How then do I know where to park up correctly? Maybe some instructions in a help file would be welcome?